Chadian kills friend in Lagos for not lending him glasses

Two childhood friends, Yusuf Sanni and Ahmed Sosan, have parted on a tragic note after a fight broke out between them on Alhaji Alla Street, Morcas, Agege, Lagos State.

Sosan, a Chadian, reportedly stabbed Sanni in the chest during the fight on the New Year’s Day.

The fight reportedly resulted from the deceased’s refusal to lend his friend a pair of glasses. learnt that Sosan had visited Sanni, who lived on Alhaji Alla Street, and met him at the frontage of his residence, chatting with other friends.

He was said to have asked to borrow the spectacles used by the victim, who declined the request.

Afterwards, Sosan reportedly attempted to get the glasses forcefully and the situation degenerated into a fight, during which Sanni beat him up.

A resident, who identified himself only as Sikiru, said after they were separated, Sosan went home in anger only to return a few minutes later with a knife which he used to stab his friend.

He said, “They were friends. Yusuf (Sanni) is from the North, while Ahmed (Sosan) hails from Chad and lives with his parents. Ahmed wanted Yusuf to give him the glasses he used on that day, but he refused. He tried to forcefully take the glasses and it led to a fight.

“It was around 2pm, after the Zuhr (2pm) prayer, that Ahmed came with a knife. He hid it inside his clothes. As they resumed the fight, he brought it out and stabbed Yusuf in the chest. Yusuf bled from the nose and mouth and people rushed him to a clinic. He died on arrival.”

Another resident, Salau Ajidagba, said policemen from the Alabo Police Division were alerted to the incident.

He stated that before the policemen arrived, a mob had descended on the suspect and beaten him up, while another group tried to rescue him and prevent his arrest.

“When policemen came, his sympathisers hauled stones at them. They did not want the policemen to take the corpse or arrest the suspect. The policemen called for reinforcement and an Armoured Personnel Carrier was brought by the Rapid Response Squad.

“The police used tear gas before they were able to arrest him and remove the corpse around 5pm,” Ajidagba added.

When our correspondent visited the deceased’s house on Wednesday, he was directed to one of the deceased’s elder brothers, identified as Baba.

Baba said the family had accepted Sanni’s death “as an act of God” and had resolved to settle the case amicably.

He said, “I was not around when the incident happened. I was called on the telephone to come for the burial of my brother. They (Sanni and Sosan) grew up together as friends. It was an accident and we don’t want any publication on the matter.”

A trader, who spoke on condition of anonymity, urged the police to prosecute the suspect to serve as a deterrent to others.

“This is not the first time an incident like this would happen here. Those boys would not change because they are being shielded through amicable resolution. If it were a Yoruba man that killed him (Sanni), no shop would open today (Wednesday) because there would be bloody violence,” he added.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, confirmed Sanni’s death, adding that the case had been transferred to the Homicide Section of the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.

“The corpse has been taken to the Mainland General Hospital morgue for autopsy. Investigation is in progress,” he added.